If you have ever compared organic cotton to non-organic cotton, you can notice a difference between the two. Non-organic cotton is grown with GMO (genetically modified) seeds and uses insecticides and pesticides. Toxic chemicals are also used in the dyeing and processing stages of non-organic cotton. In comparison, organic cotton (GOTS) has a responsible process from seed to final product. Organic cotton does come at a higher price tag. Why do organic cotton products cost more than non-organic products? Read our four reasons to find out why!
- When you grow organic cotton there are weeds and insects that still need to be taken care of without using harmful chemicals
- More soil is required for organic cotton
- Methods used by organic farmers are way more expensive than using chemicals like conventional cotton farmers do
- Organic cotton is typically always hand-picked not by machines. This takes more time and more money.
- Organic cotton (GOTS certified) uses non-toxic dyes or natural dyes that are more expensive than dyes used with conventional cotton
- It is more expensive to clean organic cotton since organic cotton must be delicately cleaned to ensure the quality and standard is up to par
Paying Workers a Living Wage
- With non-organic cotton, many workers are underpaid to cut certain costs and keep the cost low
- Organic Cotton (GOTS certified) guarantees that all workers are compensated equally throughout the entire process and have fair working conditions
- All testing for compliance and certification costs by The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is expensive
- Certifications need to be renewed every year
The higher cost of organic cotton comes down to the increased cost to produce the products. Organic cottons products are 20-30% more expensive than non-organic cotton. If you prefer to have a product that is not only safe for your baby but also helps protect the environment and backs ethical garment production, buying organic cotton garments may be the right choice for you.
Selling organic cotton products are not as low cost as non-organic baby clothing. However, we are proud to offer these products at a much more affordable price point. Shop with us today to see our high quality products!
Organic Cotton Picture and Facts
Manufacturing Organic Cotton Photo